- 1 teaspoon butter, or as needed
- 8 eaches shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons hot curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground red chile pepper
- 2 ½ pounds chicken thighs
- 1 lemongrass, smashed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 eaches bird’s eye chile peppers, chopped, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 leaf (blank)s kaffir lime leaves, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 cups water to cover
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 4 eaches tomatoes, quartered
- ½ small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, or to taste
- Melt butter in a wok over medium heat. Add shallots and fry until golden, about 10 minutes. Remove shallots and set aside. Add curry paste to the wok and toast until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in curry powder and ground chile. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemongrass, chiles peppers, coriander, and lime leaves.
- Pour in fish sauce and enough water to cover chicken. Add coconut milk; cook for 10 minutes. Toss in tomatoes and cook until starting to soften, about 10 minutes more. Reduce heat to low and simmer until flavors blend, 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove lemongrass and lime leaves. Garnish curry with the fried shallots and cilantro.
source : www.allrecipes.com